Cleaning and maintaining your motorcycle chain is essential. This helps ensure your motorcycle runs smoothly and doesn’t end up being the reason you break down. Motorcycle chain cleaner is a 2 part process. The first part is to apply the cleaning product to the chain to aid removing the dirt and grime. The second part of the process is to use your chain brush to scrub all the grime off. You should clean your motorcycle chain properly and then once you have completed this, apply motorcycle chain lube to help its performance.
The best motorcycle chain cleaners are the DuPont Teflon Chain Saver and the Simple Solutions RGB800 Grunge Brush. Both of the products enable you to get the best out of your motorcycle chain. They both enable you to target all areas of the chain to get it back to its best, especially if you utilize a good chain cleaning brush.
Take a look at the below table which shows a summary of the different motorcycle chain cleaners.
|Product||Container Size Options|
|DuPont||3.5, 4, 11, 14 oz|
|Muc Off||14 oz|
Choosing the best motorcycle cleaner can be a daunting task if you do not know much about the products. The reviews below have been made to help you understand what you are purchasing and ensuring you are exposed to the better products available.
Motul Motorcycle Chain Cleaner
The Motul motorcycle chain cleaner is a powerful and chlorine free product. Its degreasing agent that features is suitable for all types of motorcycles. This includes off road motorcycles too.
Features of the Motul Motorcycle Chain Cleaner is:
- Suitable for all types of motorcycles.
- Can be used on other vehicles.
- Removes dirt and grit from O-ring, X-ring and Z-rings.
Maxima 70-749203 Motorcycle Chain Cleaner
This motorcycle chain cleaner is great as it comes in a pack of 3. You get the cleaning agent, multi-purpose penetrant lube and chain wax. This means you have the cleaning agent and then can re-apply new lubricant, all within the same pack.
Features of the Maxima 70-740203 motorcycle chain cleaner are:
- Heavy duty, emulsion type cleaner.
- Designed to clean without harming rubber O-rings.
- Penetrating lube that displaces water.
- Chain wax is heavy duty, anti-wear with extreme pressure additives.
- Special parafilm formula offers long term protection.
DuPont Teflon Motorcycle Chain Cleaner
This chain cleaner is a bit different as when you apply the product, it can keep itself clean for a longer period of time on its own. Giving you longer lasting performance from your motorcycle chain until you need to carry out maintenance again.
Features of the DuPont Teflon Chain Cleaner include:
- Contains Teflon and Moly for increased wear protection.
- Water resistant.
- Non staining.
- Helps chains last up to 5 times longer.
- Withstands up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
Muc Off Biodegradable Motorcycle Chain Cleaner
Muc Off chain cleaner is a solid product that aids in removing dirt and grime to ensure your motorcycle chain becomes clean to allow you to lubricate and get your motorcycle back to performing to its best.
Features of the Muc off Biodegradable motorcycle chain cleaner are:
- Biodegradable and water soluble.
- Rapid grease cleaning formula.
- Suitable for use on O,X and Z ring chains.
- Safe use on rubber, metal and carbon fiber.
The below list are for the best motorcycle chain cleaning brushes that we have also reviewed to allow you to get to best result when applying your motorcycle chain cleaner.
Simple Solutions RGB800 Grunge Brush Motorcycle Chain Cleaner
The Simple Solutions chain cleaner is a durable double sided brush which allows you to access all areas of your motorcycle chain to ensure the best cleaning result possible. The brush will not hard O or X rings.
Features of the Simple solutions RGB800 are:
- 3 sided bristles allowing cleaning of all 4 sides of chain.
- Long bristle side allows cleaning of sprockets and wheels.
- Adjustable for all sizes of motorcycle, ATV and bicycles.
- Replaceable bristles ensure long life of the brush.
Finish Line Grunge Brush Motorcycle Chain Cleaner
This Finish Line product has an ergonomic handle which allows better handling when cleaning your motorcycle chain. The brush has been made with the highest quality materials to ensure robustness.
Features of the Finish Line brush are:
- Bristle blocks surround chain for efficient 4 sided cleaning.
- Long stiff bristles to access hard to reach areas such as sprockets.
- Aids in premature wear of your drivetrain.
- Eliminates chain skipping caused by dirt.
Tirox 360 Degree Motorcycle Chain Cleaner
A highly effective 360 degree chain cleaning brush. These brushes are circular, small and are pulled around the chain whilst being twisted to ensure the chain is completely cleaned to the best of its ability. Suitable to use with chain cleaners.
Features of the Tirox 360 Degree motorcycle cleaner are:
- Compact and light to use.
- Rotates 360 degrees to ensure full cleaning.
- Brush can expand to tighten which in turn gets the bristles into the chain areas.
Stockton Tools Grime Minister Motorcycle Chain Cleaner
This basic but effective brush does what it needs to. It is light and is 2 ended so that it can be utilized for all areas of your motorcycle chain and sprockets.
Features of the Stockton Tools Grime Minister are:
- Double sided.
- 3 Sided bristles to allow easy cleaning of chain to attack grime on all sides.
- Chain life increases.
- Brush allows you to get into those hard to get areas.
- Eradicates dirt and grime.
How To Clean Your Motorcycle Chain
Know Your Chain
To start off, the main parts of a motorcycle chain are the inner and outer plates, along with a pin, roller and bushing. These can be complimented by O-rings or X-rings to complete a seal to these links. They are used to create a barrier between both the inner and outer plates but also for maintaining lubrication. If this is incorrect, your chain will wear down a lot quicker than normal and friction becomes a lot more than usual. This then can affect the performance of your motorcycle.
How to Clean
- Prepare: Make sure the task you are carrying out is as efficient and easy as possible. Put your motorcycle on its center stand or a jack. This means you can asses the chain properly and correctly as the rear wheel will be elevated off the floor.
- Assess: Check your motorcycle chain rotates correctly and look for any damage on it such as chips or rust. This can cause problems for your motorcycle.
- Clean: Apply your motorcycle chain cleaner generously to ensure all the dirt and grime can be cleaned off. Once you have let the cleaner chemical bask on the chain to help lift the dirt, grab your cleaning brush and scrub the cleaner all over the chain. This will help remove all dirt and grime off the chain get it back to new. Once you have scrubbed the chain sufficiently, wash down the chain to rid of the dirty water and grime.
- Lubricate: The final part of cleaning your motorcycle chain is to lubricate it. Lubrications can come in different forms and have different elements that they specialize in. You should check what is best for your motorcycle. Once you have completed this and applied the lubrication, you are ready to go and ride!
- Ensure your motorcycle has the correct chain for it. Common mistakes are when you change the chain and don’t purchase the correct chain for your motorcycle.
- The chain needs to correct tension to function properly. If your motorcycle’s chain is too tight or loose, it will not perform to the best of its ability or even worse, could cause problems to your motorcycle.
- Your chain must be aligned properly. This makes sure that there is no unnecessary wear to your motorcycle chain which could lead to friction issues and even damaging the chain.
- Lubrication regularly of your motorcycle is key to the most efficient and top performance for your motorcycle. Rotation is helped when lubricated as your chain will move more efficiently with less friction. This in turn helps give your motorcycle the specified output it needs.
- Make sure different chemicals or debris that should not be on the chain do not end up on it. This could cause corrosion or breakages to your motorcycle which could be costly.
To decide which motorcycle chain cleaner is best, it depends how much detail you want to go into. All chain cleaners will make your chain looking and running new again. The differences are the extras that each product can give you, and this is what is down to your choice. You will find that different cleaners and brushes will suit you better than others. Your motorcycle chain is important so choose wisely.
This review and guide should help you find that perfect motorcycle chain cleaner suited for your motorcycle chain!