A Motorcycle helmet camera is a great accessory for any rider wanting to capture their journey and relive the excitement. Cameras can come in all shapes and video quality to suit the rider’s needs and can be connected to your mounted phone to show the camera’s view.
The most common reason for riders purchasing helmet cameras in more recent times is due to safety. By having a camera attached to the helmet, it protects the rider from careless drivers or surroundings out of their control. If you are involved in an accident, the footage from the camera can be used as important evidence against the opposing person.
The best motorcycle helmet camera is the GoPro Hero 7 Black, which has been reviewed as having fantastic video quality along with being able to playback videos through the screen on the back of the device.
Best Motorcycle Helmet Camera
|Motorcycle Helmet Camera||Video Quality||Touchscreen|
|GoPro Hero 4||60 FPS at 1080p||Yes|
|Sony FDR-X3000||120 FPS at 1080p||No|
|AKASO EK7000||60 FPS at 1080p||Yes|
|Campark ACT74||60 FPS at 1080p||Yes|
|GoPro Hero 7 Black||240 FPS at 1080p||Yes|
GoPro Hero 4 Motorcycle Helmet Camera
The GoPro Hero 4 is the first of the GoPro family to feature a touch screen on the camera. This gives the user a chance to review there footage whilst still out riding.
The GoPro Hero 4 has the following features:
- Touch display and a high pro-quality capture. GoPro Hero 4 is the first ever GoPro to come with an inbuilt touch display, thus enabling the user to capture the world in a completely different manner. Being able to control the camera and play back content whilst out and riding is hugely convenient.
- Camera can capture 720p120 and 1080p60 videos with realistic clarity.
- 12-megapixel burst photos at 30 frames per second thereby helping the user capture every moment you do not want to miss out. Night Lapse and Night Photo offer a customizable exposure setting of up to 30 seconds which produce stunning pictures of the night sky and more.
- In-built touch display which can be used to preview both photos and videos. Play back the content so that the user can promptly recreate the moments, navigate easily through the camera menus and adjust settings.
- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi built in which allows the user to connect to the Smart Remote or GoPro App to edit videos and photos to share with the world.
- Night Lapse mode and new Night Photo mode with customizable exposure settings. Capture stunning night sky photos like never before of up to 30 seconds for a single shot or Time Lapse photos.
- 1080p60 and 720p120 video quality along with a 12MP camera which ensures the user gets high-quality pictures and videos giving them an enjoyable recollection of their journey.
- Built-in touch display enabling the user to control the camera, playback easily and shot framing. This makes it much more convenient to use.
- Auto low light mode can adjust its frames rates intelligently depending on the lighting conditions. Enables the user to move from dark to bright environments without any need to change the camera settings as it is automatically enabled.
- Battery life can be a challenge. Ensure a spare is available on longer rides.
Sony FDR-X3000 Motorcycle Helmet Camera
The Song FDR-X3000 is the action camera that keeps the look of camcorders alive yet incorporates all the modern aspects of today’s competitive market.
Features of the Sony FDR-X3000 include:
- 10 separate accessories included within the purchase of this camera which include a carry case, tripod, chest harness for point of view videos and 64gb micro SD memory card.
- 4k camera quality with an advanced balanced optical ‘SteadyShot’ to ensure that the best video quality experience is achieved through stabilization.
- Rechargeable battery.
- Splash/dust proof body becomes full waterproof down to 60m once housed with the waterproof case.
- LCS screen to choose camera options.
- Spare battery included for those longer rides or trips away to ensure that the whole ride can be captured.
- Accessories included within purchase meaning no extra spending to obtain the extra equipment needed for various activities.
- Lightweight at 4 pounds. This means that the camera will not hinder the rider with it attached on the helmet.
- Larger in size compared to most competitors – 12 x 10 x 9 inches.
AKASO EK7000 Motorcycle Helmet Camera
The AKASO EK7000 is the for the rider that is looking for a cheaper motorcycle helmet camera. The shape features a like to the GoPro with similar attributes.
The AKASO EK7000 features are below:
- Professional video quality with the ability to record Ultra HD 4K action videos. The user can capture sharper and realistic videos at exquisite 4k at 25fps, 2.7K at 30fps and 1080p at 60fps.
- A waterproof camera along with a waterproof case allowing depths of up to 30 meters.
- Its 170 degrees wide angle lenses allow the rider to capture broader angles unlike the 90 or 120 degrees which other cameras usually accommodate. this presents an expansive field of view enabling the rider to capture incredibly great pictures.
- Presence of a wireless 2.4GHz Wrist Remote Control Sports Camera that allows the user to capture the world in a completely different way. The rider can be in control of the framing shots, recording video or camera conveniently.
- The action camera comes with two 1050mAh rechargeable batteries with long battery life in comparison to its competitors, with each battery lasting for about ninety minutes while recording.
- A 2.4G WIFI allows easy connection to a tablet and smartphone through the “iSmart DV” application. Subsequently, this lets the user share memorable videos and pictures with friends and family through social media applications. The Wi-Fi signal reaches up to ten meters, and an HDMI port also available.
- With its 4K 25 frames per second and 2.7K 30 frames per second video recording capability along with a 12MP photos of up to 30fps, this camera can produce crystal clear pictures that are up to four times clearer in resolution to traditional HD cameras.
- The use of this camera is excellent for extreme environments due to its water-resistant capabilities along with its robust waterproof case.
- Long-lasting batteries last for around 90 minutes thus eliminating any worries of the battery dying off whilst still recording. Additionally, the two extra rechargeable batteries come in handy when one completely gets drained of charge.
- Its multi-function action camera with its screen rotation and loop recording capabilities can be used as a dash cam for the front of motorcycles.
- The camera mounts are made from cheap plastic hence the components easily break under little or no pressure.
- Light conditions with the camera struggle resulting in poor picture quality.
Campark ACT74 Motorcycle Helmet Camera
The Campark ACT74 is the cheapest option within the 5 cameras displayed in this review. It shows attributes of the GoPro Hero 4 in the sense of appearance.
The features of the Campark ACT74 are as follows:
- This camera is waterproof and also comes with a watertight case capable of up to thirty meters underwater.
- Remote Wi-Fi controls which mean users can control the camera via a phone compatible with both Android systems and iOS.
- Sony Sensor and Super 4K recording means this camera can take pictures at 16 megapixels and record video footages in 4K/30 frames per second.
- Dual rechargeable batteries that last up to 180 minutes while shooting.
- Numerous mounting accessories included with the camera to enable the user to fix their camera to helmet and various other locations.
- 170 degrees lens and 2 Inch HD Screen that allows you not to miss out any details in the background. The camera supports a 32GB Micro SD to store hours of video and photos.
- Time lapse, slow motion and loop recording are all features on this camera.
- Water resistant thus great for those who love to take amazing videos and photos while out in the rain.
- The presence of 170 degrees wide lenses permits the rider to capture incredible moments in great detail.
- In-built Wi-Fi enables the user to share the recorded videos and captured photos with friends and family through either social media or email.
- Time-lapse, slow motion mode video and loop recording ensure the rider can catch every moment and not missing out on those treasured moments.
- Two rechargeable Lithium batteries within the package allowing the user to increase their shooting time considerably.
- Low picture quality of this camera compared to competitors along with occasionally dropping frames and grain quality which can be frustrating.
GoPro Hero 7 Black Motorcycle Helmet Camera
The GoPro Hero 7 Black is one of the most recent cameras to be released by the GoPro family. The camera has been updated through image stabilization and image quality.
Features of the GoPro Hero 7 Black include:
- Ultimate camera stabilization where the GoPro anticipates the user’s next move to ensure the most smooth video is captured.
- 4k60 video quality and 12MP camera to ensure that those thrilling and special moments are captured in the best quality.
- Voice control means that the user can control the camera easily and hands free. The rider can command photos or videos without pushing a button.
- Time warp video meaning that time lapse videos will be to the best stabilization quality.
- Live streaming whilst on the move which can also be saved to the SD memory card.
- 8 levels of slow motion available on play back of videos to check those blooper moments.
- Touch screen on the rear of the camera to make access and navigation to camera options more efficient and easy.
- Bluetooth connection to mobile phones and wifi networks.
- Waterproof without a housing of up to 33ft (10m). This means that forgetting accessories for water footage is not a problem.
- Item replacement service where if the camera breaks, GoPro will replace it.
- 35 hours of video and unlimited photos can be saved automatically through the auto cloud backup.
- The Hero 7 automatically applies HDR quality and local tone mapping intelligently to make sure that the best quality photos are captured.
- Firmware update can be frustrating with the camera freezing intermittently.
Buying Guide to Your Best Suited Motorcycle Helmet Camera
Most riders have the aid of a camera in the present day due to circumstances that could occur on the road. Riders prefer to have the added security that comes with the camera displayed on the helmet or even just to re-live those breathtaking roads once again with friends.
Below is a guide to aid your decision and ensure you buy the correct camera for your helmet.
The Camera’s Battery Life
The quality of the image a camera can produce is directly related to the battery life of the camera. So, when deciding on a camera to buy, purchase one that can last for about one to three and a half hours, with this dependent on the settings.
The Construction Quality
Before purchasing a helmet camera, make sure its design is sturdy and rugged thereby able to tolerate impacts. Additionally, since they frequently get exposed to dynamic environments such as one with lots of exposure to cold, water, dirt or heavy vibrations, durable helmet cameras are ideal.
Various helmet cameras come pre-installed with small hard drives for directly saving videos and pictures. However, to fully maximize the helmet’s potential, using a secure digital (SD) card is appropriate since it also allows you to instantaneously transfer all of your data to your personal computer or using the provided USB cable. Furthermore, camera helmets with higher specs offer Wi-Fi specification either in-built or bolted on it hence you can stream the film on either your phone application or computer.
The Quality of Image
Cameras available in the market offer different image quality with this mostly dependent on the settings which aim at either saving memory or improving definition. With the 1080p or Full HD camera, the crispest playback is accessible and great for use on television. The 960p or tall HD offers files with a smaller size since the image quality is not as excellent in comparison to the 1080p but allows you to take longer shots. Nevertheless, the standard mode for a majority of the cameras is 720p which is bright enough for you to showcase all your skills and tricks and still to allow you take reasonably long takes due to smaller file sizes.
The Mounting Options
Helmet mounts can either be the sticky or strapped varieties. However, for the hardcore individuals, chest mounts are a great option since they offer you an in your face view as you are descending.
A Waterproof Housing
In the exemption of falls, water is another killer of cameras, and as a result, all cameras in the market should come with a water-resistant housing that allows you to take your camera in underwater escapades. Typically, the house is made from high-quality plastic which on average can sink up to 60 meters deep.
- Every camera comes with a built-n GPS locator which pinpoints the exact location where you took the video or pictures. Moreover, you can use an application to spot your precise position alongside the film.
- Majority of the top range models available in the market have freely downloadable apps that let you view and edit everything while still on the go. These apps are available on both iOS and Android.
- Wi-Fi kits which enable automatic downloads of your recording either to your laptop or PC. Also, it lets you use your phone as a viewfinder with some packed with remote control.
Are Motorcycle Helmet Cameras Really Worth It?
- Helmet cameras are perfect for saving your favorite routes that you took while on holiday, and thus you can be able to recreate the whole ride later. Additionally, you can share these videos on social media and YouTube to an ever-growing community of bike enthusiasts from around the globe.
- In the event of an accident which is not your fault, your recording will come in handy after availing it to the police, since it will help them to get a conviction or payout.
- These cameras are quite expensive. Therefore, before purchasing one, it would be advisable to borrow one and try it out so that in case you are not a fan, you don’t end up wasting a large amount of cash on something you do not like.
- In the event you get involved in an accident that is your fault, you also have it in the record, and this will be used as evidence against you by the police.
Motorcycle helmet cameras are definitely worth the investment, be it for recording the thrilling ride or for capturing any traffic collisions or alterations that the rider may be involved in.
The cameras also can be fixed to other areas of the rider through accessories, for example on the chest with a strap mount or fixed onto the motorcycle handlebars to give a lower view of the roads ahead.